Monday, August 1, 2011

The Lambikin

The Lambikin: Needlefelt Art. This 8 X 10 feltart piece is based on the fable "The Lambikin," from India. This childrens tale relates the story of a trickster lamb, who tells his preditors to wait until he returns from grandma's house before they eat him; for then he will be much fatter. Of course, in the end his lie catches up with him, and he makes a tasty meal. Although this looks like child's play, it is probably one of the most labor intensive pieces I have done. Dyed wool roving can be bought at a yarn shop or you can dye the wool yourself. I take the dyed roving, which looks like hair after it is carded, and place it on sheets of sheer fabric. I use my Embellisher to needle punch the roving into the fabric. The Embellisher looks like a sewing machine, but it has 5 long, barbed needles that felt the roving as you carefully run it through. I take these sheets of different colors and cut out my shapes. I use a hand held needle felting tool to attach the pieces to my base fabric. I formed the sheep using the hand tool. The tree is constructed from collaged fabric and yarns. The collaged elements are snipped from hand dyed lace. Free motion quilting is done overall with rayon threads. Beads are added as a finishing embellishment. The bird is a metal charm and the butterfly is cut from fabric and beaded, and then attached. Many hours have gone into this, but it think it is quite charming. This piece was accepted into the Waverly House Gallery exhibit called "Journeys."

6 comments:

  1. I just love surfing on the net on a hot day. I find so much great textile artwork out there, like yours! Thanks for sharing your work/play.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy this is delightful.Love the little story too. Yes needle felting is time consuming- it takes an age . Just by chance I saw needle felting video.I'm about to do some leaves to complete a wall piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful little gem! I always like seeing what you come up with and this is no exception. I like needle felting too - it's very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy this is just gorgeous! I really can appreciate the amount of work and effort you have put into this with all the little extra bit of lace in the tree and the flowers below - it is really in proportion too. The sheep are very cute and I love the beaded butterfly as well.
    A wonderful piece of creativity which you obviously have enjoyed making.
    Best wishes to you,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parallel minds again! The little felted pieces I made for the gallery sold so fast I didn't even get photos. Yours remind me of Arpilleras that I collected in Ecuador and Peru delightful folk art
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful fun piece Judy and i love the story ! always a joy to see your creations so very inspiring ! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments.