Monday, November 1, 2010

Color Play: Color Series


Color Play: Color Series. This is a departure from my usual approach. I decided to focus on the brightest and most saturated color I could find. Forget the color wheel; forget the rules: just choose my fabrics like a child would choose from a crayon box. I went to my stash of fabrics and found this wonderful, hand marbled fabric that had been given to me by a good friend. I had been afraid to use it in anything else because of it's brilliant color and pattern. It became my vase. I wanted everything to be basic shape and color, without thinking about shading or highlight. This approach is used by many abstract artists. The work looks flat, without shadow. I cut the flowers and leaves from the brightest fabrics and chose a bright green yarn for stems. I used a very neutral background, but gave it a lot of texture, to contrast with the simplistic shapes. This was a fun way to work and I don't know why I had avoided these bright fabrics before.

7 comments:

  1. OOh Judy,
    I love the use of the bold colours and unusual fabrics in this still life flowers and vase. This still has the painterly eye and the quilting is getting more elaborate and intense. Well done again.
    What size is this piece?
    Best wishes,
    Jane C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the quilting. You have some great texture going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good fun piece Judy. Love the bold colours. Most of us have an intuitive sense of what colours work, and it's fun to just "go with the flow" every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the background quilting. You have some great texture going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I think this is great! When did you start quilting like that??? I think bright colors make your heart sing - and you've accomplished that with this little beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! it's beautiful - love the way the textured background works against the flowers & vase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. another Wow from me !! simply beautiful Judy ! going with the flow worked a charm on this beauty ! love the colours and the wonderful texture you have created !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments.