Friday, October 1, 2010

Bridging Heaven and Earth


Bridging Heaven and Earth: Color Study Series. The actual subject of this work is the Dove. He has the usual placement as just off center. But he is being upstaged by other elements. Every artist knows that the intensity of saturated color gives weight to a composition. Red, Orange and Yellow will draw the eye to focus on them immediately. So my viewers eye will start at the large orb that represents the sun. It has the most saturation of color. The next place that the eye will fall, will be on the flowers. There is a relationship between the sun and the flowers because of the color, though it has less saturation. The rose red color of the horizontal strip carries the eye over to the next location. The vertical bars have a relationship to the strip in their varigated reds and the lines take your eye upward again. I have used color to frame my subject. Of course, there are other design elements at work here. But I thought this was a good study of how to use color as a design tool.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!This explanation is helpful Judy. I found my eye doing this before I read your explanation.Good design, and your colours well chosen.The use of some of the sun colour in other areas, does tie the different elements together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very beautiful piece of quilting here Judy.
    The balance is just right in positioning. It is not too complex and the colours merge beautifully. I love the clouds, the dove flying through them towards the sun. The black quilted border frames it really well and helps to enhance your colours. Very well done!
    x Suzy
    P.S. Congratulations on your award and so well deserved for your efforts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another stunning quilt & I enjoyed your explanation of the design process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful piece and I do love how you take us around the composition ... I also love the way the whole piece is framed within the structure.
    This has a strong message as well ... beyond what the viewer actually sees.
    Lovely!
    Best wishes,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Judy,
    Your blogsite is really looking good and there is such good information and explanation of your work. Well done for winning a ribbon, you deserve it!
    The 'Bridging Heaven' is a wonderful way of using strips of textile and colour.I really look forward to the new month to see what you have been working on.
    Best wishes and thank you for sharing,
    Jane C

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that color and value help my eye travel around the piece!! Quite pleasing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I found your blog! I like very much admire your talent and work! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog and your works are wonderful and I congratulate you and give you a prize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I discovered your blog whilst blog hopping and glad I have, you have some beautiful creations on here and I will be back for a thorough look sometime soon. Fantastic work :)

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for you lovely comments on my blog :) I see you are in Springfield, MO - coincidently I lived in Springfield, here in the UK plus I worked with two people from Springfield, MO here in England when I worked with an ice hockey team :)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments.