Saturday, January 1, 2011

Simply Fruit


Simply Fruit: Color Series; Abstract Design  9 X 14. Color balance is the subject of our discussion this time. Although this is one of my smaller works, it is one that I spent the most preparation for. I am not an abstract artist by nature, but felt that I needed the experience of using my knowledge of abstract art to interpret my ideas. My process was to make a drawing of my composition. The rules in abstract design are the same as in representational design. I always start with a rough sketch, but this time, I became very detailed in blocking out my basic shapes. Once I had a layout, I cut the elements out and traced them onto colored paper. I used paper to audition the color balance and actually came up with a paper wall hanging.  My balance is vertical, and I needed to make each choice on the left to balance with the right side. I simplified my shapes enough to represent the idea of fruit elements and a bowl. It could also represent the idea that it was sitting near a window. After my composition and design were established, I made it out of fabric and quilted it. I do realize that I need more experience with abstract design.

9 comments:

  1. I think your abstract design came out beautifully! Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy,
    I really like this piece and very much enjoyed learning about your process. Abstract work is also very unfamiliar to me but it is so good to work outside ones comfort zone. You have done a great job!
    Very best wishes for 2011,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is beautiful Judy and love this abstract piece. There will be no stopping you now the cast is off. I am sooooo looking forward to seeing your new little journal! Good on you Judy.
    Love,Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting piece..... i may have my 'comment problem' solved....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this piece too, it's well balanced and good use of colour & shape. I'm not sure why but abstract designs appeal to me more than the very realistic, even though I appreciate the skill involved in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your design process - it's a help and encouragement to those of us who also want to go down the abstract route rather more than we do or dare!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, nice work! I admit that your process is way over my head, as I guess I work intuitively and don't think that much or I get bogged down. I love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Judy, I'm so glad that you came over to my blog. Your fiber art is wonderful,and this piece reminds me of my paper collage that I just posted. I LOVE mixed media--anything goes--and everything is right! So glad to meet you--you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, this is marvelous! You continue to amaze me. Thanks. kbartdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments.