Saturday, October 1, 2011

Variations


Variations; The 22 X 28 design is done in a style that I call Abstracting From Nature. From a photo of a sunflower, I made a drawing onto grid paper. I did it in an abstrat style. That is, not what you actually see, but images that are created in your thoughts about the subject. I did a color study on paper to establish my lights, mediums and darks. A ruler is used to fragment the shapes into squared sections known as Facet Design. I have also continued my study of the "Illusion of Space," by placement and overlapping. I have created texture with the variations of line and pattern. The birds were added for balance. The style could be considered "Surrealism," as it is something that you might see in a dream. I used commercial fabrics and Batiks. It is mostly fused, but partly pieced work. This piece will be entered into a challenge exhibit called "Skyline." The show takes place every other year and is put on by the Ozark Piecemakers Quilt Guild. This piece was accepted into the Missouri State College Senior's Art Exhibit. Won 2nd place in the Skyline Challenge 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Judy this is amazing! Such a clean, clear and executed piece.
    Thank you so much for sharing and good luck with it's entry into the challenge.
    Best wishes,
    jane C

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunning quilt Judy!Ditto above...Good Luck!!Will have a look at process later.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job with your use of fabrics; that is very effective without overwhelming the overall image. The birds are just the right punctuation for the piece. I love it! The birds are charming. Out On A Limb is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! The technique of breaking up the background is very effective. It does look surreal, as it's certainly from nature...but a bit wacky. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Judy, especially the bright colors in the flower against the earthy palette. I really really like the addition of the birds. Lovely... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting composition, Judy. I'm sure you'll do well in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your "Variations"--lovely composition, colors and technique.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I love what you have done here. very graphic and a real winner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments.