Friday, March 1, 2013

Snickers


Snickers: A 15 X 15 pet portrait. Snickers is a Rat Terrier. She is no ordinary dog. My daughter's family belongs to her. Her eyes tell you that she is an old soul with much wisdom and energy. The first time I belonged to her, she stood on all fours on my lap and looked deeply into my eyes. She was reading me to see if I was worthy of her trust. Once she determined that I could be manipulated, she curled up and took her nap. Snickers (or Snicker Doddle as she is affectionately known) loves snacks. One of her favorites is the Milk Bones. When you ask her if she wants a snack, she begins to prance around and get excited. The family had resorted to spelling the word S-N-A-C-K, but she soon learned the spelling and that no longer worked. Her favorite sport is to steal the toys of the grandchildren and make them chase her. But she is considerate, and will finally hesitate long enough for them to catch her. Many Snicker's bars were destroyed by my husband so that I could copy the wrappers onto photo fabric. He said he was happy to sacrifice himself to the cause. For Closer View, Right Click on Image and Open In New Window. This portrait can be seen on Off The Wall Fridays

13 comments:

  1. LOL a dog named snickers who love snacks - go figure! How smart is he! If this was my family (with its love of languages) we would come up with "snack" in every different world tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love his personality, great story, great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, wonderful piece Judy - oh, and I totally get 'The first time I belonged to her', I think anyone who has been loved by a dog will smile at that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt and love you Rat. We have 4 Rats. Two standard and two minis. Best dogs ever and I love that they all picked us to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love the piece and story! You don't understand until it happens, but n animal that accepts like that you is priceless.
    Your husband was a brave, brave man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a quilt with a story and also one that "tells" a story! You have accomplished both! Thanks for sharing.

    Come see me at "Off the Wall Friday!" too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share a home with 2 rat terriers. Snickers sounds like Dewie. She is so intelligent and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ADORABLE.
    It's a nice CREATION OF SEWING. CONGRATULATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story - and a lovely quilt ! Good your husband took care of the snicker bars ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    This is a great art quilt and a fabulous posting. Love, love, love your story about Snickers and especially the fact that your husband was such a hard-working assistant. I understand completely. Steve and I had to drink a case of wine once (obviously over several weeks) in order that I could use the lovely deep blue magnum bottles in an installation! LOL! I also admire the wonderful variety of background fabrics and how artfully you made them work together.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can tell just how much you love Snickers to devote a whole collage to her. The whole piece is so very clever especially how you have created and pieced her together - such knowing eyes!!!
    It is incredible!
    There is no way I could create this out of a snickers bar!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic piece Judy - he sounds a real character and you've captured him beautifully!
    Thanks for commenting on my prints too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments.