Friday, February 15, 2013

The Memory of Trees


The Memory of Trees is a small experiment in needle felting. Wool roving is placed on a base of organza. An Embellisher is a machine that looks very much like a sewing machine, but has no thread and does not sew. Instead, it has a group of barbed needles that are enclosed in a shield that moves up and down. The needles pierce the organza, pushing the wool through to the back. By moving your hands, you can guide the punching process until you get the results that you want. I used organza that had some shimmer to it, in order to get a more lustrous look. On top of the felted background, I used my sewing machine to do a little thread painting using my free motion foot attachment. A tree trunk with branches were sewn to prepare for the hand stitches. The leaves are hand stitched using embroidery threads. I wanted to keep this composition simple and not overwork it. So much texture can over dominate, if you don't know when to stop. I placed the circle on a felt background that I had found at a craft sale, and glued down a key that says "Memory." This can be seen on Off The Wall Fridays Right Click on Image and Open in New Window for a close up view.

15 comments:

  1. Oh keys are one of my favorite bits to work with! Saw your link on Off the Wall Fridays! Enjoyed the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pondering purchasing an embellisher after seeing the work of Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn with this machine. Up here (Canada) they can be had for about $400...or less if on sale. What do you recommend?

    (Your wee piece is lovely!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. trees are symbolic of many things and find their way into my work sometimes. the key ads an element of ? and who doesn't like a good myster?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Bravo on the felting! The tree is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got it just right. That tree makes me consider trying felting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice felting! I love the old style key.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Judy! The key is a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, Judy. This looks like it was a lot of fun to do. I have been eyeing a felting embellisher machine for about a year and would love to try one as my hand action gets old real fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a felter and have barely touched it...now I can't wait to get it out again. Your tree is so lovely. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh this is lovely - you know with all the felting inspiration you all might lure me in - the texture makes you want to reach out and touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't needle felting machines great fun! They really create lovely texture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable piece ! Love your little tree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Judy, i'm back in the land of blogging and commenting Yeahh, your memory of trees is gorgeous, your stitching is so nice and neat, i love it. Karen xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. VERY VERY NICE,JUDY.
    I never feltING I was working, and YOUR WORK IS beautiful. CONGRATULATIONS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments.