Friday, September 27, 2013

No Boundaries


No Boundaries: Mixed Media Abstract. 16 X 20. This is a challenge piece that I created for the Felting and Fiber Studio online group. The challenge was to move out of your comfort zone and create something that is truly Mixed Media. However, I am a Mixed Media Fiber Artist, so this was just a little out of my comfort zone. I plan to use this as a sample for an upcoming class that I have been asked to teach to the Southwest Missouri High School Art Teachers Association. I will be showing them how to have students make mixed media fiber art.  I used: monoprinted fabric, fabric strips sewn through water soluble stabilizer, silk, organza, painted tissue paper, flo acrylic on watercolor paper and sewn to background, metal, stamping, batting, and a purchased barb wire plastic rope. All of this was free motion quilted to cotton batting. It was very difficult to get a good photo of this collage, but some of the batting is left showing on the upper corner. Because this is so textural, the barbed wire will probably get lost in the photo, but it is plainly seen on the original piece. So, I guess the story is that all of us have Boundaries in our lives. Some are physical, some geographical, some mental, some spiritual. This will mean different things to different viewers. But that is why we call it Abstract. It all happens in your mind. For closeup view, rightclick on image and choose "open in new window." This can also be seen on Off The Wall Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments.